Pages

They really really do...

They really really do...

Saturday 7 August 2010

TGI Fridays

TGIs have succeeded in ruining a perfectly good meal of mine due to how petty I am when it comes to topics I feel strongly about. I wrote a letter of compaint to them and am optimistically awaiting a reply, the letter itself will sum up my complaint:

Dear TGI Fridays,

I must start by stating that I am not the type of person to complain about anything. Whenever I receive bad service or bad food somewhere I attribute it to an unfortunate ‘one-off’ and so leave it at that. However I saw something in your restaurant recently which really confused me – and so felt the necessity to point it out to you.

There is a wall (at the Gordon Street side) of your restaurant with pictures of iconic artists and bands. On the wall is a ticket from The Police, Woodstock, The Rolling Stones and pictures of Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Lenny Kravitz, Led Zeppelin and Lady Gaga.

Can you spot the odd one out?

May I ask what Lady Gaga is doing on that wall? I’m sorry to sound petty – but musical technique and artistic integrity is something which I am rather passionate about. “But Lady Gaga has both of those!” you might say…well, true – but not quite on the scales of the artists on that wall. She’s no Bruce Springsteen is she?

Lady Gaga, at best, is just this generation’s Madonna. She is the product of corporate imperialism and musical demand of 15 year old girls with too much birthday money. She may be ‘unique’ and ‘something different’ but not on the bigger scale of things. Not like Led Zeppelin and Michael Jackson were unique.

She does not fit in on that wall. She stands for something entirely different than the rest of the artists did. They have a passion and they play from their hearts - they set foundations for music that all the artists of today, the Lady Gagas and all the other pop artists, have risen up within.

As I say, just an observation…

Yours faithfully,

Josh

1 comment:

  1. The fact that you said you're not the type to complain about anything is blatantly a lie :p

    N x

    ReplyDelete